ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2016  |  Volume : 9  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 336-340

A cadaveric study of morphology of portal vein with its clinical importance


1 Department of Anatomy, Government Medical College, Patiala, Punjab, India
2 Department of Orthopaedics, MMIMSR, Mullana, Ambala, Haryana, India
3 Department of Anatomy, Dr. H. S. J. Institute of Dental Sciences and Hospital, Chandigarh, India

Correspondence Address:
Harsimarjit Kaur
Department of Anatomy, Government Medical College, Patiala, Punjab
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0975-2870.182504

Rights and Permissions

Introduction: The morphological mensurative data of the portal venous system is important, as regards portal hypertension and surgical aspects related to portocaval anatomosis. Aims and Objectives: The study under consideration was under taken to determine the actual percentage incidence of major variations occurring in the disposition of the portal vein (PV) and its tributaries. The basis of major variations has different reasons such as genetic, metabolic, hemodynamic factors depending on the type of variations. Materials and Methods: This study was conducted on 30 adult human cadavers by dissection method. The abdomen was opened by standard cruciform incision, and the region of PV was cleaned and observations were made and recorded. Result: The PV had normal standard pattern in 30% cases and the rest 70% showed variations in one or the other form. The splenic vein was variant in 76.6% cases. The superior mesenteric vein showed variation in 73.3% cases. The mode of termination of the inferior mesenteric vein was variable in 60% of cases. Conclusion: The incidence of variations in the portal venous system can be of prime surgical and radiological importance for portocaval anastomosis and to study hemodynamic flow radiologically.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed3701    
    Printed84    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded303    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 3    

Recommend this journal